Courier to the USA without any hassles using this comprehensive guide to provide you accurate information; right from customs clearance to proper packing method.
USA Custom Clearance, Duties & Paperwork
All goods go through customs to be cleared; this is, therefore, important that you have a customs invoice for your shipment. The document is used to determine the tax and duties levied on your courier. You must ensure that it is complete and clearly describes the item of the package. It is important that you fill the form accurately, to make the process speedy.
Cost of Duties & Taxes
If the total parcel value is below a certain price, you will not be asked to pay any duty. It differs as per the item in the parcel, for gift value threshold is $200 — but you have to describe the item in the package as unsolicited gift to a residential address or a US business address. And the formal clearance threshold is $2500. While sending formal courier to USA from India or any part of the world, you must understand it will take some time as it goes into formal clearance.
Also, the receiver of the package will be contacted by customs to confirm their tax ID. They might need to pay additional costs applied to the parcel.
Restricted & Prohibited Items in the US
Here is a list of things prohibited to be imported in the US from any part of the world:
– Drugs, ink and other poisonous material (if you want the same you can get clearance from TSCA)
Electronics in the USA
The import of electronics is governed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). When sending electronics to America, the FCC requires a person to fill an additional form for customs clearance. It should be confirmed by FCC that a particular electronic item is being send abide by FCC standard import. Please don’t forget to attach the custom invoice for the parcel.
Sending Food to the USA
There are a bunch of restrictions when it comes to sending food items to the USA. Importing food products into the US is governed by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) gets help from US courier services to know more. Here is what you can send via courier:
- Store-bought food with best before date over 6 months
- Items that have original manufacturers packaging and unopened cover.
- The food label must include all the ingredients.
Standard Tip to easily send food items
- Describe it as a gift in the customs form.
- Declare it as non-perishable food for personal consumption, not for resale.
Important Packaging Tips
- Use Strong and Rigid Box
- Use a double-lined box if it weighs more than 10 kg and triple if it is 30 kg.
- Do ample cushioning of the item using polystyrene packing chips, ensure the item is steady.